Sunday, March 18, 2007

Single Crochet Ripple

Hello I am new to the Ripple-Along, I asked to be invited as I am enamored with the ripple afghans and I love to see pictures of others in progress and once they are complete. I haven't done a lot of crochet in the last bit, mainly knitting but crochet is my roots. My mom taught me to crochet about 12 years ago, and I was instantly 'hooked', pardon the pun. I love to both knit and crochet, but what I love about crochet as that I am able to make my own designs and patterns a lot easier - I guess I am more accomplished with crochet.

So I am excited to be here and I thought I'd post a pic of an afghan I made a few years ago. It was my first attempt at a ripple pattern and it was done in all single crochet. Unfortunately our dog Oliver who is snuggled up to the afghan also chewed a big hole in it. I guess I now have an excuse to make a new one for myself too.

My mom has been doing some ripples with the granny stitch - they turn out very nice, but they sure do use up the wool. I've thought about doing a new ripple afghan for awhile now and I came across this site a few days ago - that was it the inspiration I've needed to finally get myself going. I plan to do one with different colours for each row(this will challenge my patience with colour changing..lol), and I want to give it to my daughter for Christmas. She's very fond of afghans made of more than one colour.

Any suggestions on yarn that works great and can pass the test of time? I was thinking of doing it in a TLC or maybe the soft phentex. I'll post some pics early in April once I get the project underway.


4 comments:

Stasia said...

Oh, that Oliver is DARLING! Glad no harm came to him from his escapade. But sorry about your beautiful ripple!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet puppy! Sorry about the blanket but I'm looking forward to seeing the new one.

Nisha said...

Man that's pretty! The combination of the deep ripple and color makes it look like something to eat and curl up with at the same time.

Tawana said...

Cute puppy! i woould consider Dark Horse Yarns. It is an acrylic/nylon mix, but extremely soft. and has a lot of bright colors. Good luck!c