Sunday, March 18, 2007

Gee thanks, Dawn!

I saw your earlier post about trying to adapt the soft waves ripple into a round pattern. It was like you put a bug in my brain. I don't know how to use schematics so I just picked up my hook and some yarn and fiddled until I was satisfied. Here is what I came up with and the colors I'm planning to use to make it after I finish my current round ripple.




I don't know how to write the pattern out, but I was hoping you could just look at my picture and tell what I did. What I can tell you is that you can follow a round ripple pattern like this one for the first five rounds to set up the ripple pattern, then to set up the soft waves, you would work 6 dc in the ch 2 space for the peak and 2dctog, 2dctog for the valley in round 6. For round 7 you would work 3dc in each of the top two dc sts (peak), then dc in next st, 2dctog, 2dctog (valley), dc in next st.
The secret, I think is working 3dc in each of the top two dc sts in the peak. You will see that the increases will happen naturally because on each subsequent round you will have an extra dc st between the peaks and valleys. I'm currently on round 12 and have 5 dc sts between the peaks and valleys. This is probably all clear as mud. Sorry about that. Just wanted to show you that it can be done! Thanks for getting me excited to start another ripple. I'm just a round ripple kind of girl.

Michelle
www.mikknits.blogspot.com

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, it's incredible :)

Carla said...

Oh boy, Michelle, look what you've done! It looks wonderful and I think your explanation is peerfectly clear. Kudos for figuring this out!

Stasia said...

Thanks for the explanation, Michelle. It did make sense. Now I've got the bug as well!

Dawn said...

oh good golly, i guess i know what i'm going to be spending today doing, now don't i?

...and don't disparage yourself mik. it is actually all a lot clearer than mud and makes perfect sense. i was trying to follow the soft waves pattern in donna kooler's encyclopedia of crochet which is a constant pattern of dcing 2 in all of the "hill" stitches and skipping stitches in all of the "valley" stitches. I had hit upon the 3 dc at the peaks to increase, but the rest was just not working, and i could NOT get the first few rows to work at all. things were increasing way too fast and it was not laying.

thanks for the tips and the prod in the butt...will post later!

Anonymous said...

It is beautiful and I love the colors you chose. Maybe someone could write the pattern for this that a beginner could read. I wasn't able to understand just how it is done. Thanks for sharing this.

MikKnits said...

I have started my new ripple and using it as my test pattern while I write it out. Since I'm not an experienced pattern writer, I don't know how clear it would be to a beginner but I'm hoping that being able to see the picture will help you stay on track. I think the pattern I linked to is a lot clearer than what I'm writing so you could use that to get you going.