Monday, March 19, 2007

crocheting like crazy

Hi, everyone!

My name is Ann, and I am so excited to be joining this group. Up until now, I've focused on weaving, spinning, knitting, felting -- almost everything except crochet. But then I happened upon this ripple-along, bought a how-to-crochet book, and after a few frustrating starts, I was on my way.

I'm using a mix of Rowan Pure Wool DK and Filatura di Crosa 501, augmented with stripes of various novelty yarns that have found their way into my stash. Some of these, like the orange fuzzy stripe, have waited literally years to find a home in a project.

As others have said, or at least I think someone said this, it is amazing how each new color changes the look of the entire piece. I'm trying to be spontaneous with my color choices and resist the temptation to rip out stripes (like the pink at the top!) that don't initially seem to fit in. Seeing everybody else's afghans, so different and all so beautiful, is a real inspiration.

So now my loom sits idle, the laundry is piling up, and my kids are going through our other stash (of microwave pizzas) as I singlemindedly ripple along.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I feel you on the neglected loom. I haven't woven anything in over a year because I've been so enmeshed in crochet.

One important thing I've learned about the ripple is to go with the colors. What you think is garish and too stand-out ends up blending in with all the other colors.