Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Can't stop me now... *Updated*

Friday, June 22
Well, seeing as how the two most recent posts belong to me, why post a third when I can simply update this one. Here is the new ripple. I pulled out all of the N hook work from photo's below. Being the lazy crocheter that I am, I left the chain and crocheted into it with my favorite K hook. The beauty of it is is that I can pull it as far as possible, and the chain row gives beautifully. There just isn't any resistance. It's truly lovely and has been a good lesson.

Further more, I *love* the painterly homespun yarns. The variations on the colors are simply gorgeous. I can't get enough of working with them. I'm doing wider rows of the painterly colors because the variations are just so stunning that I don't want to stop. :D

Well, I'm off to eat this fresh brownie before it cools too much. Happy rippling everyone!

**********************************************

I told you i'd hunt around and find something to ripple. I dug into my mom's stash and found some homespun. She is in the process of putting together a granny made of homespun, so she had a few balls of blue laying around. I found most of a scain of this gorgeous painterly brownish color.

I'm not sure I like it. I did out some math, did some swatches, with a K, and an N hook, to see how many rows I can get per scain. It'll take less yarn working with the N hook, but the swatch with the K hook held together a bit better. Because the stitches with the N hook are so loose, it's making the chain row seem really really tight even though it's not. I don't know how comfortable that'll be to snuggle up under. The only other thing I've done with homespun is scarves because it so soft. I still had this same issue, but didn't worry about it because I'd add tassels and stuff.

I dunno. What do you guys think? Should I continue, grow my homespun yarn stash and just go with it? Or try and work something else out? I love the feel of it.. it's so luxurious and soft... but I'm so frustrated. :\

8 comments:

Anina said...

Definitely don't use to big a hook. The ripple will not hold its shape and be no fun.
I like the homespun effect, so if you like the softness, go buy some more and carry on!

Riss said...

I'm working on a hardcore small budget (whatever I can get my gram to buy for me once a week) so I was trying to go for quantity...

But now thinking about it, and after getting away from it (i've started a granny) I think I am going to frog and start over again with a K. I just hope it works out in the end...

Stephanie said...

I would do your chain with a larger size and then use the smaller hook for the rest of the blanket. That way the first row won't pull so much and it will lie flat. Nothin wrong with using homespun and it comes in lots of colors and it goes on sale alot.

Rosana said...

Your work is great! =:)

Riss said...

I wanted to give you guys an update... I pulled out the N hook work, and then worked with my K hook into the N chain (if that makes any sense at all) so now it's nice an even looking. Even when I pull it tight, there isn't any resistance in the base chain. Yay!

It was a good lesson for future ripples... definitely. :)

Leah said...

Love your subtle color changes...really nice!

Ronnie Anderson said...

I am inspired now for a whole new ripple! I love how the colors work up using Homespun.

Riss said...

There really is nothing like it... I'm now addicted... if only it worked a little faster...