Wednesday, May 2, 2007

A Vintage Ripple


Hi everyone. I tracked down the ripple afghan that I posted about here.

I went to visit my mom this weekend (we took a knitting workshop together, go figure) and asked her about this ripple afghan. She had trouble remembering it, which isn't like her because she is the keeper of all things handmade, heirloom, or belonging to someone in our family. After turning the cedar chests upside down, we finally found it in her closet.


It's done in single crochet, with a fairly fine yarn, possibly sportweight. It really feels like wool, but it's hard to say since it was made in the late 70s, could be synthetic. I don't care enough to try to pull a bit for a burn test. I love how she put the 8 colors together (4 browns, 4 yellow/oranges).

Thought you guys might like to see it close up. I put it on the back of a chair across the room from where I've been crocheting mine -- it's fun to look at.

5 comments:

Judy said...

That is really neat, but, funnily enough, you didn't have to post the decade that it was made. It would have gone nicely in my parents' family room in 1977! :)

Anina said...

I love the use of the colors. I might have to try that when I finally get to make a pretty ripple. I also like the sharp waves instead of soft waves. It must have taken ages to make in single crochet!

Paula, the quilter said...

That's the pattern I use when I 'Ripple'. The yarn is more than likely acrylic. The acrylic in the 1970s was very coarse and rough, not like now.

superstahr said...

I LOVE the colors! Reminds me a lot of the ripple I'm making right now. I might have to actually buy some yarn to make another one in those colors *smile*

knittyauntie said...

that is EXACTLY THE SAME as the ripple afghan that was on my grandmothers couch sence I was born!!!!colors and all. Wow that is creepy...