Monday, April 16, 2007

Newbie

Hello everyone, This is my first post. It is so great to see all of the ripples and to see them grow. So many pretty afghans. Here is my blanket on day 10.



I think I will need to do 9 repeats of the four colours. So I am almost a third of the way done. I am using Red Heart Super Saver, a size I hook and the Soft Ripple pattern and while I love the colours and how it is turning out I really not in love with the yarn. So what is a knitter/crocheter to do? Buy more yarn right? So I have almost enough now for a second ripple in Caron Simply Soft. I'm going to add a few colours to it every time I go to the craft store so that when I'm done with the one I'm working on, I'll be set for a second. Is there anything that I can do when it's done that will soften this yarn? I was thinking that I would try to use softener on it but I've never used this yarn before so I didn't know if it would work?
Anyway, here it is on our bed last week(of course it has grown since then:)

It matches better in person.
Can't wait to see more ripples. Am I the only person that checks this blog a billion times a day?

13 comments:

kate said...

it is lovely!!!!! I check the blog a lot, too :) I love seeing everyone's creations...

Tawana said...

Ooh it is pretty! Nope I check the blog alot too. lol

-Pam L- said...

Love the fresh spring colors !
Humm? Perhaps we need to make one for each season ? ;)

Washing the RH yarn does help.. and a vinegar rinse is best to help soften. Fabric softener increases flammability. Saw a reputable report on this part long ago. I think the vinegar works better anyway...

My RH afghan has also softened more from use ad repeated washings.

RH makes a 'Soft Yarn' ( that's the name) which works well with the Caron Simply Soft, BTW.
In addition check the Bernet Satin.

barbarianfiend said...

beautiful! i wish i could get away with those colors, but my dh wouldn't let me ;p ... not only do i check this blog a million times a day, i've been checking my email too because i've been promised my invite is on it's way and i can't wait to post. :D

Mary J. said...

I like the colors, very retro and spring-y.

Jenni-Raie said...

oh,i check the blog a LOT! still love the colours. they are so spring-like!

Kelly said...

As Pam said, washing really does soften Red Heart up. I made a ripple blanket for my daughter about 2 years ago and after the first wash it was SO much softer--now, it's even more soft, and has held up very well!

GitteMay said...

No - you're not alone:-). I also visit this place a lot every day. I love to see so many beautiful things.
It makes me happy to see so many beautiful colors. Your blanket is very nice :-)

babette said...

I know what you mean about RH. Whenever I work with it my fingers crack or get sore. But, on the positive side, it is a real work-horse, I have an afghan that my Mom crocheted 35 years ago & it is still going strong and looks as the day it was made .

Mary B said...

Love the colors you are using. . .

Susan (ZenKnit) said...

I love it - very lemon/lime and makes my mouth pucker!

Hilde C. said...

I relly like the colours you've chosen - they remind me of spring :-)

Michelle said...

Thanks everyone for the compliments *blushes* I love love love the colours. We have had our bedding for about a year and I still love it so I thought it would be safe to work on a blanket in the same colours. I lmao about the comment that said your husband wouldn't let you. I'm always surprised about what I can get away with:)
Thanks for the vinegar hint, I think I have read that somewhere else before. So I think I will try that(I put vinegar on everything else so might as well try:)But thanks everyone for the comments about softening, It makes me feel better:)