Wednesday, March 28, 2007

afghanupdate


afghanupdate, originally uploaded by naughtydebbers.

Well, slowly but surely, my afghan is getting there. Where? Somewhere. :)

I have a confession to make. This afghan was SUPPOSED to be made using the soft waves pattern we all know and love. Only, well, it's my first crochet project and all...and I didn't know what double crochet was...and I looked it up in an outdated book...and was given a definition that does NOT match the popular definition for double crochet...and started merrily crocheting along in what I later found out is actually, no kidding, SINGLE crochet.

So for anyone who has ever wondered what the soft waves pattern would look like in single crochet (with just a couple of adjustments I made to make it work -- and here was I thinking the PATTERN was wrong!), well, wonder no more. Behold; Single Soft Waves.

Next on my agenda after finishing this (because yes, I am a stubborn kind of girl and yes, I will finish what I started, DANG IT) is another soft waves afghan -- this time, in colours more to my liking, and following the original pattern, and much, much bigger.

But, to add a little perspective to this whole afghan ordeal, I have included in this photo a reminder of one of the best things of which I have ever participated in the making, and in which there is no flaw -- my perfect firstborn son, Jonathan! This boy always appreciates mama's handiwork, too, be it perfect or no. :o)

God bless!

--Deb

13 comments:

nanaofnc said...

Deb, this is perfectly gorgeous. You are to be commended to sticking to it with the single crochet too; the outcome was worth it! The colors are fabulous too! Great work.

teabird17 said...

This is so soft and soothing - what a lovely blanket you made!

Jess said...

I don't think the book was "outdated" but instead that it might have been british.

Nancy said...

Bravo to you Deb! Good girl for sticking to it! It is a very pretty ghan! You should be proud. And your son is just darling too!

Annie's craft corner said...

oh my the color combos are beautiful you are doing a great job on that.

Andrea

Mary said...

I think it looks good for a mis-read pattern. Single crochet would probably take longer, though, right? Yeah, it's beautiful.

Cecilia said...

Great son! oh, and your blanket is *beautiful*. :-)

Susan said...

My crochet stitches book is that way too (english vs. american). Every time I start a crochet item I still have to look stitches up, it just doesn't seem to stick in my noodle.

Yours looks wonderful!

nutnoh said...

This blanket is adorable - and yes, the model is even more perfect!

Jesse said...

It looks great! I'm very confused about the single/double/triple crochet thing, too. I'm doing mine in what I learned as triple crochet, because that's what all the ripples I've seen so far look like they're done in. Single crochet I know as the equivalent to slipstitch, which can't be right...

Larry and Deb said...

Oh my! Well, then, I suppose we're all a bit confused! I guess in the future I will have to be careful when using instructions as to where they come from. LOL! Usually I am pretty good with conversions, since I am Australian-American, but this is all so new to me. *sigh* ;)

Larry and Deb said...

Oh yes, and thank you all for the sweet warm fuzzies! (hoping that doesn't sound bad and everyone still remembers what warm fuzzies are...heehee...)

DaniLane said...

Looks awesome! i love the waves.