Thursday, May 24, 2007

Rippling Soft Wave Baby Blanket

I started my first great grandson's baby blanket. He's due in July. I'm doing the soft wave ripple, using Lion Brand Yarn-Baby Soft sportweight and G hook. At first I was doing a lot of frogging because I was not paying attention. When I first wanted to do this project I couldn't decide whether or not to knit it or crochet it. Now that I'm doing it, because I frog so much, I'm really glad that I chose to crochet and not knit. I love the soft feel of the yarn. It should come out to about 45" square. Right now I think I'm going to use white to scallop edge it. I'll see how that looks when I'm finished.

9 comments:

kirsten said...

Very pretty Dorothy!! I like the sound of the edging, too. Congratulations on having a great-grandson!

renee said...

This is soooo sweet... It looks soft, too. Makes me wish I were a baby.

charlotte narunsky said...

How lovely, and how wonderful to be having a great grandchild! Congratulations!

Anina said...

It is beautiful!

Lulu said...

thats so lovely

PattieJ said...

very nice!

wahdidah said...

I've enjoyed watching the many ripples grow. I attempted my first ripple and didn't realize until I was halfway thru that it was too narrow....so I've learned my lesson and have made my next ripple wide enough to fit over a twin bed. I too started a baby ripple because I love making baby afghans. I don't know if it's the pattern I'm using or the yarn, or my own stitch tension, but it is so so stiff. I'm using Jamie classic baby yarn, worsted weight and I think I may be doing something wrong. The afghan is so stiff and heavy. When I touch the skein, it feels soft, but as I'm working it up, it's heavy and stiff. Oh well....I guess it could be used for a cold winter's night. I really miss Jamie's Pompadour yarn....it had a lustre to it and was lightweight. I've been buying up as much as I can on ebay, but I'm sure it'll be all gone soon.
Anyway, Happy Rippling everyone!

Dorothy said...

wahdidah,what size hook are you using? That makes a difference. I know when I start a peice it's tighter than when I finish it.

wahdidah said...

I usually make the foundation chain with a bigger hook then switch down. I made the foundation for this baby ripple with an H and switched to a G. I was taught to crochet by my Mom's best friend when I was 8 yrs old. This woman swore by a G hook. I've only recently tried crocheting with larger hooks. I also have a very tight tension...I grip that hook so tight......probably taking out all my stress of the day on that poor crochet hook!